MIT Global Teaching Labs Online 2021
fully funded for schools and colleges in Wales
In January 2021, Equal Education Recruitment will be running the MIT Global Teaching Labs (GTL) Online programme for primary schools, secondary schools and further education colleges across Wales on behalf of the Welsh Government. We invite all schools and colleges wishing to take part to notify our Programme Manager at the earliest convenience and to get in touch with any queries you have.
The 2021 MIT GTL Online programme will enable pupils and schools across Wales to draw upon the expertise of approx. 15-20 MIT instructors based around the world.
Following the success of Equal’s MIT GTL programme since 2019, the MIT Global Teaching Labs initiative is regarded as a key driver of pupils’ engagement with STEM subjects. The programme also raises pupils’ aspirations and benefits schools by encouraging and facilitating interdisciplinary learning.
MIT GTL Online & COVID-19
In 2021, the programme will be delivered fully online due to COVID-19. Our key focus is on helping schools and colleges to utilise this free resource to help pupils and schools to recover following the school closures as a result of COVID-19 and to continue to raise standards in STEM subjects despite the challenges posed by COVID-19.
Priorities & Objectives
Our priority is to help schools and colleges to re-engage students and to support students in catching up, whilst also broadening their mindsets and raising their aspirations towards higher education at a time when student motivation is suffering due to the ramifications of the pandemic. The programme will also focus on building students’ resilience and motivation as well as developing their independent learning skills, in line with Welsh Government priorities. Through the programme, we will deliver support to all age groups, including priority year groups and/or pupils as determined by individual schools and colleges.
Format and components of the programme
As in 2019 & 2020, participating schools and colleges can be matched with specific instructors to form bespoke programmes of activities. Full support in doing so will be provided by Equal Education Recruitment. In 2021, schools and colleges will have the added advantage of being able to draw upon the expertise of all of our Global Teaching Labs instructors to schedule specific sessions aimed at various groups of students across all STEM subjects and topics.
We will also be generating a bank of lessons, activities and other eLearning resources through the project which will be made available to participating schools and pupils beyond the programme.
The programme will comprise a wide range of synchronous (in real time) and asynchronous (recorded) activities and resources made available to participating schools and colleges, including the following:
1. Catch up lessons: MIT instructors to work with pupils, closely following the curriculum to support teachers in ensuring Welsh pupils catch up with science and mathematics content as they progress towards examinations.
2. Interdisciplinary projects (e.g. relating to climate change, engineering, public health and other topics) incorporating Science, Maths, Geography, Design Technology and other subjects.
3. STEM workshops: one-off sessions or a series of (up to 6) lessons with the same instructor for whole classes (approx. 15-25 pupils).
4. Masterclasses: one-off sessions with Q&As including discussions about topics such as:
• Studying STEM at university
• Careers in STEM / Gaining Professional Experience at University
• Women in STEM
• Study skills and revision techniques
• Health, wellbeing and academic success
5. Small group or 1-to-1 tutoring for specific pupils over an extended period of time, starting in January and ongoing throughout the school term.
6. University application support and tuition for specialist subjects e.g. Mathematics, Medicine, and Engineering
2020 Programme video: https://vimeo.com/450908341
2021 Sign Up form for Schools & Colleges*: https://equaleducation.typeform.com/to/aXmnxcEh
*participation should be be approved a school’s or college’s by Head of Maths, Science or Design Technology and a member of the Senior Management Team.
Head of Operations, Equal Education Recruitment
Programme Manager, MIT Global Teaching Labs Online
02920 697129 / 01554 7777749
Managing Director & Partnerships Director, Equal Education Recruitment
02920 697129 / 01554 777749